Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sorry! This made me laugh...

Okay, so I was perusing old blogs after I finished the previous one about 2 seconds ago and I stopped at the one about wild things that happen at work and I remembered the one for last week...

So, of course, I was the only manager on.  And I get a call to the lot from a cart person...
Not a, hey can you get out here ASAP.  Just, Coach Tim to the parking lot.  It's usually and irate customer who doesn't like having their receipt checked on the way out, at least we don't make you walk through an impersonal scanner that 50 years from now we will find has given everyone who perused game stores too much a serious medical condition.  Or someone who has done something stupid in the lot, like the woman who ran into the handicapped parking pole because she had sped up to turn in around pedestrians.
I don't make this stuff up....
Or the person who recked there jeep trying to park in the cart corral.  Seriously.  and then he drove off and got upset when we called the police to complain about him destroying it.  He said it's our fault the corrals aren't wide enough...
I'll wait for you to stop chuckling...

Done?
So, I didn't rush to the lot but I did make my way directly there because, y'know, it could be important.
A car was leaking gas into the lot.  It was a couple gallons by the time I got there and every passerby had to comment about how we now have to call the EPA and get a full Hazmat team on site.
They train us for stuff like this.
Unfortunately, that was a couple years ago and I haven't had to use the Chemical Spill Emergency guidelines since.  Yes, there's a term for it but I'm not sure how sensitive it is but the cart person should have utilized it.  No biggie.  I got Dennis to grab some oil dry, which we sell.  And I had Chris get the plate # to the service desk to page the member.  And we blocked the area off with upturned carts and i went inside to call the fire dept...

Ok, it used to be that fire depts and police depts all had normal #s and I don't call them all the time.  So, yes, I admit I looked 911 up in the phone book.  Not that i couldn't remember it, I wasn't sure if this qualified as a 911 level emergency.

Done laughing yet?

Obviously it is because I'm pretty sure they were on site before I got back to the lot.  I think someone else called them first...

So this guy runs up, like literally 10 seconds after the page, and says
"Aw man! We just drove that car off the lot!"

The fireman says, "We have to tow it out sir, after we plug the leak."

"And we just filled the tank!"

Too which Chris says, bless his heart...

"Ain't full anymore!"

I know it's not funny but it is.  I have to not burst into laughter while I assure the man it's under control and it's in his best interest NOT to drive the car at this time.

The wife was furious because they had just bought $200 in groceries and didn't have a car to take them home in.  It was all my fault.  The fire man calmed her down.

After it was all done, I remembered to check the flipchart to see if I handled the incident properly...

Like, if the building is on fire, I'm going to run to the flipchart to see what I should do...

We got it right except the cart people decided to clean up the oil dry themselves instead of let the Fire dept do it...

HAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment