Monday, October 15, 2012

Stripping! It's not what you think...

Get your brain out of that gutter.

I spent most of my Saturday off stripping the old wall paper in our bathroom with the help of my mom and wife and kids.  It was actually fun.  and i kinda like the new appearance of the room with just the plaster and wall board, little scraps of wallpaper and glue still clinging in spots waiting to be scrubbbed/scraped off while we prepare to paint.  The old dingy room is getting a new look.

I was pondering this after i dropped Jake off at school this morning and realized a theme.  kinda the frying pan to the back of the head as the Lord showed me a connection to other things.

I also shaved my moustache off a couple weeks ago.  I was done hiding behind it.  I was never one to believe much that facial hair meant you were hiding but, as I looked back at the past, oh, 20 years, I realize I came to Corning with a full beard, mustache, and long enough hair to tie into a small pony tail.  Over the years, the hair got shorter, the beard became a goatee and then just a moustache.  I would chew on the moustache when it got too long and it would smell gross at times.

So I shaved it off.  My son didn't want to get in the car the first afternoon after school until I spoke.   He wasn't sure it was me.  People at work tell me I look good. neater.  Younger.  15 years younger to be exact by the usual estimate.

And I felt better.  I have dealt with some old baggage and struggles.  I can't believe I carried some of this stuff around for so long.  Not that shaving the moustache got rid of the baggage but what i got rid of made me appear younger.

And I didn't do it because I thought I would look better but because I was sick of the old thing.  Too much time spent making it more presentable, like old wall paper that no longer serves its purpose.

Now I'm starting to wonder why a couple of people at work are growing out their facial hair.  Wonder if they are trying to hide something from themselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment